sticky indulgences

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Great Mother, 95 all out

On Monday I got a call from my Mum to say that they were staying up in Surrey because the Doctor's thought that Great Mother had had a stroke over the weekend and it was not looking good. My Aunt had also been recalled early from her honeymoon in France.
I decided to go down on Tuesday and visit as it might be my last chance... On arriving at the hospital I found not only my parents but my Uncle and Aunt ( Mum's brother and sister) and the curtains drawn round the bed. They had had a call from the hospital at 07.40 that morning calling them in...
Perversely, the final treatment on Monday to clear her lungs worked perfectly and she was now able to breath without supplementary oxygen for the first time since being admitted! Unfortunately, everything else was starting to shut down.
Never one to give up without a fight, GreatMother doggedly hung on and the medical staff put her on morphine to make her as comfortable as they could.
Our prayers were that she would gently slip away with dignity and that it would not be a prolonged process.
Mercifully, at 03.15 on Wednesday morning she just stopped breathing.
A wonderful woman with great strength of will and vitality, also a bit of a dragon, but we loved her dearly. On one of my previous visits had derided me over the fact that I had still failed to take for a promised ride on my motorbike! She had also decided on which outfit she wanted to wear for my Aunt's wedding in September which even included one of my Aunt's hats.
She will be missed.

1 Comments:

  • hugs and love and prayer to you all stick - sounds like she was an amazing woman I'm glad she found dignity and peace and family around her.

    By Blogger Caroline, at 6:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home