sticky indulgences

Monday, May 30, 2005

Star Wars III - Shame about the gore

My kids love the Star Wars movies, but Esther (7) won't be seeing it at the cinema and having just been there myself, not when it comes out on video/ DVD either! Star Wars III is a 12A, unlike Chapters I & II which are PG and IV, V, & VI which were U.
I thought, based on the past films that it would be safe to take Naomi (10) & we enjoyed the film right up to nearly the end when George Lucas decided that we really needed to see in full technicolour and hear in Dolby surround sound just why Darth Vader needed that kinky black cover-all outfit with the asthmatic breathing and the discomfort (understatement) he was in at the time just prior to acquiring it.
It was an unnecessarily graphic gory indulgence that spoilt the film for my daughter ( I didn't quite get my hands over her eyes in time) and means that a large percentage of the younger audience will be excluded from knowing how the story ties together. It would have been very easy to allude or allow the imagination to gauge the degree of injury without actually having to watch Darth Vader catch fire, writhe, scream and subsequently ooze gently on the screen in full view.
Family viewing it ain't and I very much doubt they'll cut that sceen before it comes out on DVD. Shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home