sticky indulgences

Friday, July 08, 2005

Devastation, but life goes on

One of the few blessings with being unemployed is that you are less likely to be in the capital when some nutter (technical term) decides to let loose a bomb or four! Unfortunately it was going to happen one day and no amount of intelligence, police work etc would be able to stop some group finally managing it. Struck by the comment of one chap who was on a tube train that the people who perpatrated the explosion should be pitied...

We didn't even know about it until nearly lunchtime as we only put the radio on on our way back from Tesco's (what an exciting life I hear you cry) to find Classic FM's programmes 'interrupted'. On our arrival home I got a panic call from my Mum en route back to Devon worried about my sister who works in St Katharine's Dock, not far from Aldgate East.. I duly managed to track her down and ascertain she was undamaged, but not looking forward to the journey home. She was however relieved that someone had finally checked up on her. It would seem she was almost the only person in the office not to have had a call from the majority of her close and not so close family members, plus various acquaintances. I rung Mum back to pass on reassurances etc and then sent an email to my brother in Plymouth who I later found out had the attitude that it would take more than a bombing campaign in London to damage Jill!
Warm feelings engendered later by Stuart Traffic who rang to check we were all ok. It's so nice to know people care.
Annoyingly, ballet got cancelled due to the lack of transport facilities, but I did ride into Victoria to rescue a friend who had managed to walk from Charing Cross to Victoria, but was unable to get any further (destination Acton - another 5 miles on) due to foot problems. She called me her "knight in shining leathers" - aah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home